If you’re like us and went a little overboard with the strawberry festivities recently and have a gallon of those fresh, bright red beauties, sitting in your fridge, keep reading!
There is something extra special about in-season fruit that just hits differently and it’s a bit of a daunting task to use your strawberries in a way that really does them justice. This season though, my sister-in-law and I have made some dynamite strawberry recipes that are a MUST.
The strawberry shortcake recipe I made was from Joshua Weissman: An Unapologetic Cookbook and it was probably the most delicious thing I have ever made. Anything that we have made from his book has been top notch. The dark brown sugar in the strawberry mixture and lemon in the biscuits were incredible. I didn’t end up making the whipped cream from scratch, but I have no doubt that it would be brilliant too. I can’t recommend his book enough! However, my sister-in-law made this one that looked quite incredible as well.
- 2 pints ripe, well-rinsed strawberries
- ½ cup sugar or more to taste
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups butter
- 3 cups whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
I used this premade crust from Trader Joe’s, but my sister-in-law made hers from scratch and it was next level. The filling for this one is really what makes this recipe shine, with the added bonus that is doesn’t use gelatin. You can find the instructions here.
- 1 All Butter Pie Crust pre-baked and cooled
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whipped cream for garnish
With summer really coming now, no one is going to turn down this Strawberry Lemonade. If you have some, fresh mint will make this recipe extra special.
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1/2-5 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Strawberry Ice Cream
We have recently acquired a homemade ice cream machine from my loving mother-in-law and made this recipe from 100 days of Real Food. It was super quick to come together and delicious!
- 3/4 cup heavy cream organic recommended
- 3/4 cup milk organic recommended
- 2 – 2 ½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 14 strawberries plus more for garnish