It’s the most wonderful time of the year — yes, it’s almost Halloween. When most people find out they are having a baby, they begin planning their dream nursery and registry lists; I began planning my children’s Halloween costumes. I have been planning my family’s costumes for months and just in case you haven’t, I’ve put together a list of some great costume ideas for all members of the family.
Here’s a peek at my insane Halloween costumes Pinterest board. Most of these costumes are homemade or semi-homemade.
Family Costume Ideas
- Family Circus: This is great because there are so many different things that people in the family can be. The Ringmaster, Lion Tamer, Strong Man, Flying Trapeze Artist, Tightrope Walker, just to name a few.
- Stick Figure Family: So easy. A pair of white sweatpants, electrical tape, white cardboard and a black marker. Done!
- Ghostbusters: Who ya gonna call?
- The Flintstones: Fred, Wilma, Pebbles, Bam Bam, Barney, Betty and Dino!
- Star Wars: The list of Star Wars characters is too long to list, but there are so many from which to choose.
- Scooby Doo and the gang: Scooby, Scooby Doo, where are you?
Group Costume Ideas
- Sharkweek: A shark for every day of the week! Gray shirt, shorts and tights. Then lettering for each day of the week.
- Troop Beverly Hills: One of my favorite movies from the ’80s.
- Guess Who: Just like the version of the board game.
- Pac-Man: Pac-Man, Ms. Pacman, Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde
- Tetris: All you need is a bunch of cardboard boxes and paint.
Children’s Costume Ideas
- Homemade Piñata: Jogging suit, lots of colored crate paper and cardboard box for a hat.
- Ace Ventura Pet Detective: Hawaiian shirt, pink tutu and shorts.
- Cowboy/Cowgirl: Jeans, flannel cowb0y hat and for an extra touch, and a sheriff’s badge.
- Charlie Brown: Yellow Shirt, black shorts and black felt, and brown shoes.
- Very Hungry Caterpillar
Work-Friendly Costume Ideas
- Inspector Gadget: Gray overcoat, blue pants, gray hat and lots of gadgets.
- Tippi Hedren from The Birds: Green skirt suit, black high heels and fake birds.
- Mime: Bonus, you don’t have to talk to anyone all day.
- Rubik’s Cube
- Taxidermy Trophy
- School Photo
Pet Costume Ideas
- Pirate: I bought this pirate costume from chewy.com several years ago. They have lots of great choices.
- Butterfly: Take an old dog shirt and cut out felt wings.
- Police Dog
- Chia-Pet Pet
- Oscar the Grouch