Tuesday seems like a weird day for a holiday, doesn’t it? If you work, you probably want to take Monday off. If you plan on traveling and want to see fireworks, you might need Wednesday off, too. Or maybe you’ve forgotten Tuesday is a holiday at all.
(Or, like me, you’ve realized there are no camps this week because of the holiday and thus you are going to have four kids running/crawling around your house all week except for a rogue dentist appointment.)
If you’re looking for local fireworks and events, check out our Independence Day Events post. But for a few fun at-home activities and recipes, I’ve got you covered.
Fun Crafts & Activities
- American Flag Fingerprint Counting Activity – Work on counting numbers to 50 while finger painting this flag!
- Sparkler Firework Craft – Worried about lighting actual sparklers? (I am.) Make these with straws and colored foil pieces.
- American Flag Suncatcher
- Stars and Stripes Sensory Bin – Dyed pasta pieces of various sizes make a fun sensory bin to aid in fine-motor skills.
- 4th of July Lantern Craft – Upcycle glass baby food jars into pretty, patriotic lanterns!
- Sparkle Bottles
- Fireworks Painting – A great idea for using up toilet paper or paper towel tubes.
Patriotic Foods to Create
- American Sugar Cookie Pie – A great excuse to eat M&Ms.
- American Flag Kabobs
- Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfait – A healthy, high-protein, low-sugar treat with homemade raspberry chia jam.
- Red, White, and Blue Stained Glass Jell-o
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad
- Blueberry, Strawberry, and Jicama Salsa
Delicious Dishes for a Cook-out
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Skewers
- BBQ Turkey Legs
- Summer Peach-Basil Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Rosemary and Balsamic Steak
- Limoncello Raspberry Prosecco Cooler – one for the grown-ups!
- Grilled Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Parmesan Cilantro Corn
- Baked Beans
- Loaded Potato Salad